For anyone who uses Git Extensions for SalesLogix, I've released a small update that adds some core functionality and makes it possible to complete the entire scenario of setting up and using Git with a SalesLogix project - all from within the SalesLogix Application Architect!
The new functionality includes:
- Manage files or folders to exclude from source control
- Manage remote repositories so you can link your SalesLogix project to an online or networked repository
- Ability to open the working project folder in explorer to manage files in your model
- Ability to initialize the current exported project model as a Git repository to start working under source control
See a screenshot of the complete list of functionality on the Git Extensions for SalesLogix tools menu:
So, you can now do the entire scenario of setting up and working with source control for your SalesLogix model. Say you have a new SalesLogix system you're working with, the typical flow is as follows (again, wanted to point out you're not leaving Application Architect at all in this scenario):
- Set up your new SalesLogix database
- Export your project model
- Click the Git Extensions "cow head" icon to initialize the exported model as a Git repository *and* a default .gitignore will be created including the typical entries for a SalesLogix model
- Go to the Tools menu and then select "Manage Remote Repositories" to set up any remotes such as a Github repository
- Click the Commit button on the toolbar to do your initial commit (all non-excluded model files will already be staged for the commit
- If linked to a remote, click the Push button on the toolbar to push to the remote
Pretty cool if you ask me.
To install this update, simply close Application Architect, download the new DLL, and copy it over the old one located in C:\Program Files\SalesLogix\SalesLogix. If you're setting it up for the first time, visit my initial post about Git Extensions for SalesLogix for setup instructions.