After installing the SpeedSearch server I set up the configuration to use the SalesLogix_Eval database. This worked fine and we proceeded to use this configuration during our testing. However, we ran into a loop when we attempted to reset the SpeedSearch Configuration. The settings were changed to use the SalesLogix_Server database, and the SpeedSearch Service was restarted, but the "SpeedSearch is not configured properly message" cropped up each time, even after refreshing the data connection list. The problem is the SlxSearchService.ini was not updating correctly so I browsed to the Program Files\SalesLogix\SpeedSearch\Bin Dir and opened the file with notepad. From this point I just changed the DBAlias to SalesLogix_Server and the Server to the correct SalesLogix Server (Connection Manager). My last step was to restart the SpeedSearch Service. The next time you run into error messages in SpeedSearch check out the SLXSearchService.ini and make sure it is correct.