With a new year, and a site that was getting stale, I decided that now was the time to make some much needed changes to slxdeveloper.com. I made a new years resolution to get the site going strong this year (especially with all the changes coming in the new SalesLogix version 6.2). Here’s a breakdown of some of the new items:
- E-mail addresses are no longer visible on the site! This was a long overdue change that I’ve been wanting to make. As it was before, there was an option in your profile to allow your e-mail address to be visible on the site. Just as a precaution, this has been changed. There are too many spammers out there scanning sites for e-mail addresses and it was just a problem waiting to happen. So, now there is a new feature to view other slxdeveloper.com user profiles. In this profile there is an option to send an e-mail to that user, but your e-mail address is never exposed. (See next item for new e-mail option)
- New user profile viewing & E-mail option! As I mentioned before, there is now a viewable profile for all users on the site. This profile shows your name, company, whether you’re a SalesLogix Business Partner, and your bio. There is also an option here for others to send you an e-mail through slxdeveloper.com. The option that was previously “Allow others to see my e-mail address” has now been changed to “Allow others to e-mail you through this site”. Your e-mail address is not shown, but the user is presented with a form that will send you the message. So, you may want to visit your profile if you’d like to change this. You can take a look at my profile as an example here.
- View a users contributions to slxdeveloper.com! Another thing you can see on a users profile is a list of all comments and articles the user has contributed to slxdeveloper.com. *Hint* I am always looking for new articles from slxdeveloper.com users.
- New e-mail tracking for article comments! About time! How many times have you posted a comment to an article and had to keep checking back to see if you got a reply? What a pain. I know it was for me. Well, problem solved. You’ll now find a new checkbox above the comments section on an article page that says “Notify me when someone comments on this article”. If you check this, from then on you’ll receive an e-mail any time someone comments on the article. Note, you must be logged in to see this option. If you are the author of the article, or when you comment on an article you are automatically signed up for this notification for that article. If you commented on an article in the past you are already automatically subscribed to this notification for that article.
- The slxdeveloper.com search is now live! You can now do searches of the slxdeveloper.com site. You have the choice of searching articles, comments, and even users. Give it a try. Let me know of any feedback you have on this feature so I can make it better.
- The newsletter! You’ve guessed by now that the newsletter is now active. You can unsubscribe at any time by visiting your profile.
- More items to come!. Although I live for writing code, and love working on sites such as slxdeveloper.com (as you can now see from my bio in my profile), I do try to lead a normal life with my wife and four kids. However, I do have some exciting things in store for the site (don’t want to give away too much just yet). I’ll keep you posted of things via this newsletter.