I ran into a curious problem with a customer in the last couple of days.
We wanted to do an import in the SalesLogix database. The customer had an Eval database already set up.
So, I decided that it would be a good idea to run a test import on the Eval database first. This way, once we had everything correct we could do it in the Live database.
We proceeded with the import into SalesLogix Eval database. The import went fairly well, however we did have few things that we planned to do differently on the Live Import.
So we thought we were ready for the Live import. When we started to proceed with the Live import, I found that our records were already in the Live database. This is not good.
After some intense questioning of the customer as to what was backed-up and what was restored where, I figured out that the Connection to the SalesLogix eval database was pointing to the LIVE database. The original import that we did actually took place on the Live database.
Thankfully we had backed up the database prior to importing. We had to restore the original database. I changed the Connection manager to point to the correct databases, then we were able to proceed with our LIVE import.
Everything ended up OK, but it was a little scary for awhile.
Make sure that your test database connection is pointing to the correct database. And Always, Always backup your database prior to making any mass changes.