Updating the SalesLogix Contact Address Book Crystal Report

Since there was not much to improve on the other two Activity level reports I thought I would push forward into the Contact layer.  On November 28 2008 I wrote a blog post labeled SalesLogix Contact level Reports, the following is an exert on the Contact Address report. 


Start Post————————————-


The first report we will look at is the Contact Address Book.  This report provides basic information about all of the Contacts in the database.  The condition filters for this report are set to AccountManagerid and ModifyDate and this is common for all Contact layer reports.  There are no predefined parameters in this report but as explained in SalesLogix Reports Area post, you are able to filter out any records using the Match By Query option. 


The below Screen shot provides a good example of the fields that display in the report.


 


As you can see with this report and all other Contact layer report, if there is no data in a field then the field does not display in the report.  The only improvements I would make to this report is to add a parameter that allows you to filter down to the primary Contact for each Account. I would also add the Primary and Title fields to the report. 


—————-End Post


This is all pretty easy stuff but in order to make adjustments to any Crystal Reports in SalesLogix (SLX) you need to have access to a machine with the SLX Architect and Crystal Reports installed.  You will also need your SLX Admin Password from your Administrator.


First thing to do is log into into the SLX Architect. Close the Open Project window that first opens and open the Manage Crystal Reports view via the Manage/Reports menu item. Highlight the Contact Address Book report under the Contact family and select the Check Out icon in the tool bar near the top of the view.  Then select the Launch Crystal Report System icon on the tool bar located all the way to the right. When the report opens, use the key combination of CTRL R to run the report against your SalesLogix database.


I did a check of all of the tables and of the 17 tables associated to this report only three are providing data.  So my first step in cleaning up this report is to rmove all of the tables but Account, Contact, and Address.


Next, let’s create a parameter field that will allow the user to display only Primary Contacts. First locate the Crystals Field Explorer tree control, find the group of [?] Parameter Fields, right click and select New.. from the list.  The Create New Parameter form will Open.  We will Name this parameter “Primary Only”, the Type will be “String”, under the Value section add “Yes” and “No” to the list,  under Value Options section I added the Prompt Text of “Display Primary Contacts Only? then set the Prompt with Description only to “True”, Default to “Yes”, and Allow custom values to “False”. 


Next lets create a formula field that puts two starts by the first name of the Contact if they are the primary for the Account.  To create a formula field look in the Field Explorers tree control to find the list of Formula fields.  Right click and select “New..” from the menu that appears.  Label this formula “IsPrimary”.  Copy this formula into the Formula Workshop:


IF {CONTACT.ISPRIMARY} = ‘T’
then ‘**’
else ”


Drag and drop this new field between the Name: label and the TrimFullName field on the report. 


Now lets set up the report Detail section to suppress records if they are not marked as Primary Contacts.  In the design tab, right click on the “Details a” section and select the Section Expert from the menu that appears.  When the Section Expert form opens you will see that “Details a” is highlighted.  We really want to write this rule to the entire details section so click on the Details choice right above “Details a”  Select the button directly across from the Suppress check box on the right side of the view.  When the Formula Workshop opens copy this formula into the workspace provided.


{?Primary Only} = ‘Yes’ and {CONTACT.ISPRIMARY} = ‘F’


Now lets add the Title field to the report.  The field CONTACT.Type is already associated to the report so we do not need to adjust the tables at all. Right click on the “Details b” section of the report and select Insert Section Below option from the menu that appears. Drag the Title field from the Contact table into this new section.  Add label and makes sure the fonts are set 8  and are aligned with the Account field above.  we also want to include a suppress field so if the field is empty then the label and blank field will not appear on the report.  This is the formula I added:


isnull({CONTACT.TITLE})  or {CONTACT.TITLE}= ”


That should cover all of the modification for this report. This is already a good report even before my mods.  I cleaned up some white space and again played with the shading which together tightened this report up.  This is how the report looks after our mods.



 


This report is available for Download using this link.


Get all of our Free SalesLogix Reports here…


Thanks for reading my blog. Until next time – Be well! Do good things! Most of all  – Keep SmilingSmile


 



 


 


 


 


 

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest Infor CRM (Saleslogix) and Creatio (bpm'online) news and product updates!

You have Successfully Subscribed!